November 2, 2012
Downtown - The Festival Hub, Sweepstakes, and FotoWeek by Night
- Downtown: The Festival Hub - Visit FotoWeekCentral and 7 key downtown locations located in the heart of Washington, DC for the 5th Annual FotoWeek Festival! Start at the Central hub and conveniently walk to other nearby photography exhibits and events. But the high quality photography doesn't stop there, be sure to take advantage of all FotoWeek has to offer.
- Expedition Voyage Sweepstakes - Throughout the festival, enter to win a $10,000 Linblad Expedition Voyage to Baja California! Spend 8 days/7 nights, not only exploring the beautiful scenery, but capturing it through your lens. Details will be released Wednesday, November 7. Stay tuned!
FotoWeek by Night - The festival doesn't stop at the end of the day. Join us for FotoWeek by Night at exciting venues, including Georgetown’s newest lounge, MalMaison and Tropicalia, a fantastic dance club at U and 14th street.Click on an event below to purchase your tickets!
Sun 11/11 - Slideluck DC VIII
spectacular slideshow showcasing the work of 20 local and international photographers
Wed 11/14 - 'DISCOTECA' After Party @ Tropicalia
Dance the night away with band BIG EAST and DJs Ozker and Mr. Bonkerz
Thurs 11/15 - Uncover/Discover Photographers
Slideshow featuring regional bodies of work from 2012 selected winners
Fri 11/ 16 - San Francisco’s Open Show
photographers, filmmakers and multimedia producers
come together to focus on Arab Spring in Syria
- Benefit Opening and Closing Parties - We're closing in on FotoWeekDC and its time to claim your spot at the party! With the purchase of a ticket for theBenefit Launch Party (open bars, food, great music and great crowd) you will receive a free CD from DJ G-Flux (supplies may be limited)! On Saturday, November 17, join us at our Closing Party for one last hurrah (open bar, hot latin band, late bites)! Grab your tickets before they sell out!
- FotoWeekEDU Seminars & Portfolio Reviews - Emerse yourself in an all-dayseminar Nov 10-13 and 15-17 with one of our leading presenters: Gerd Ludwig, Daniel Milnor, Mary Virginia Swanson, Brian Storm, VII Photographer Ed Kashi, Aline Smithson, Michael Melford, Tom Mangelsen, PDN 30: Alice Gabriner, Mark Mahaney & Rebecca Drobis moderated by Holly Hughes. Have your work reviewed at our Portfolio Reviews on Sunday, November 11.
- Volunteer Opportunity! - Want a chance to be a part of creating FotoWeekDC's Festival? We are looking for passionate and reliable volunteers to help us bring together our big week! You can assist during Portfolio Reviews, Seminars, the Opening/Closing parties and at various venues throughout the week. Click here to register as a volunteer - and thank you!
- Check us out! - Stay updated with us through our Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+ and more for the latest announcements including giveaways, special events, and Festival prizes as we approach FotoWeekDC.
Sarah Greisdorf, Youth Contest Winner 2012
PartnerNews and Festival Events:
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Slideluck DC VIII - In collaboration with FotoWeekDC, Slideluck Potshow is now seeking cohesive, creative, and thought-provoking submissions! The final product will be shown at Malmaison, a new restaurant/bar that includes an arts space located in Georgetown (tickets available here). The deadline for submissions is Thursday, November 1st, 12am EST.
Ivan Pinkava at Katzen Arts Center - Remains is an exhibition of works by the Czech photographer Ivan Pinkava (b. 1961) which employ generally comprehensible cultural codes to refer to the state of the human spirit of the individual in ‘Western’ culture. On November 3, join Ivan for a gallery talk and opening reception from 5:00-9:00pm.
Studio Gallery presents Revisit: The Inconstancy of Being - From the far-reaching arms of academia to the private eyes of local artists, “Revisit: The Inconstancy of Being” reveals the influence of time over creativity, as well as the evolution of creative talents and the “inconstancy” of artistic inspiration. First Friday reception will be held tonight from 6:30-8:30.
Taryn Simon: A Living Man Declared Dead and Other Chapters I-XVIII - Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design presents Simon's four year project researching and recording the living ascendants and descendants of a single individual, or “bloodlines,” and their related stories. The exhibit will run from November 10 to Febuary 24.
PartnerNews and Festival Events:
Spain Arts & Culture - Embassy of Spain will be holding two exhibits through November 16.Once Upon a Time in Almeria, the documentation of a forgotten legacy of moviemaking in the desert, and Connections and Confrontations, collective exhibition of the artists awarded the Spanish National Prize for Photography, are both incredible examples of Spanish photography.
Prime Collective Welcomes Pete Muller - Prime Collective is proud to announce the new addition to their family, Pete Muller. For the past several years, Pete lived and worked in South Sudan where he covered that country's precarious transition to independence.
Capital Photography Center Presents Barren Places - On November 12, Join Eliot Cohen for a look at photographs from these travels as he discusses visual choices and the concept of workflow, which begins before the picture is made and includes the editing and printing decisions that help to realize one’s vision. This event is free but requires pre-registration.
IberoAmericaCultraDC - 'Transitional Bodies / Cuerpos en Transición' presents cutting-edge artists from Latin America, Portugal and Spain will be held at the Former Residence of the Spanish Embassy from November 9 - December 9 2012.