The building of the Embassy of Argentina was built for George Franklin Huff, a Republican Congressman from Pennsylvania. Prior to his political career, Mr. Huff was a successful businessman from Westmoreland County where he worked in the railroads, banking and, later on, the industrial and mining sectors.
Mr. Huff was a delegate to the 1880 Republican National Convention, and member of the Pennsylvania State Senate (1884-1888). He was elected to the Fifty-second Congress, the Fifty-fourth Congress, and again to the Fifty-eighth and to the three succeeding Congresses. He served as chairman of the United States House Committee on Mines and Mining during the Sixtieth and Sixty-first Congresses. Married to Henrietta Burrell, they were the parents of eight children. Mr. Huff died in Washington, D.C. in 1912.
Mr. Huff commissioned architect Horace Trumbauer the design of the house in 1906. The Argentinean Government purchased the house in 1913 from Mrs. Henrietta Huff, the owner of the premises.
The designer of the Embassy of Argentina was Philadelphia native Julian Abele (1881-1950), one of the first prominent African-American architects. He was the first African-American graduated from the University of Pennsylvania´s architecture program and was recruited by Horace Trumbauer´s architectural firm in Philadelphia. He also designed Harvard´s University Widener Library, North Carolina´s Duke University buildings, much of the Philadelphia Museum of Arts and numerous private mansions in Newport, Rhode Island and New York.